The Philly Non-Sports Card Show is just one week away. Regular blog readers may have noticed our blog has been pretty quiet this week. We’ve been gearing up for the show, which takes a lot of preparation these days.
The “Philly Show”, as the show is known (even though it’s never actually been held in Philadelphia and is now held in Allentown, PA) is held twice each year. The Spring show is next Saturday and Sunday, April 21 and 22. The show boasts a plethora of activities, give-aways, special guests, and more. Here’s a rundown of what’s going on at the Philly Show:
- Dealers – Leading card sellers from around the country will offer new and vintage non-sport trading cards.
- Artists – Artists exhibiting at the 56th Philly Non-Sports Show include Axebone, David Gross, Veronica O’Connell, Rhiannon Owens, Sean Pence, Elaine Perna, and Tony Perna. Collectors will also find Laura Inglis and Meghan Hetrick around the show (look for Inglis at dealer Derek Woywood’s tables; Hetrick at the artists Elaine and Tony Perna’s table). Together, these artists have worked on Marvel, Star Wars, Wacky Packages, Dexter, Vampirella, Bettie Page, DC Comics, and many, many other trading card titles. Please note: artist Trev Murphy, who has been announced as a guest is unable to attend the show.
- Trading Card Manufacturers – The following trading card manufacturers will be exhibiting: 258 West Authentic Signatures, Breygent Marketing, Cryptozoic Entertainment, Famous Fabrics, Frank Eachus Publishing, Non-Sport Update, Rittenhouse Archives, SideKick, shopTopps.com, Topps, and Twin Galaxies.
- Free cards – Show attendees will receive free promotional trading cards with their paid admission to the show. In addition, many of the manufacturers and artists will have free cards to give away. We’re posting previews of the promo cards on the Philly Show Promo Page.
- Bench Warmer – Bench Warmer models Mary Riley and Billie Jo Powers will be signing autographs for collectors on Sunday. Mary and Billie Jo will have special autograph cards to sign for collectors.
- The Hobby Premiere of Twin Galaxies Video Game Trading Cards – Look for a lot of video game activity at the Spring Philly Show. Twin Galaxies’ Walter Day and competitive video gamer Billy Mitchell who were both featured in the documentaries The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters and Chasing Ghosts – Beyond the Arcade will be on-hand. Twin Galaxies will premiere their Video Game Trading Cards to the hobby at the Philly Non-Sports Card Show.
- The Hobby Premier of Tattoo Art Trading Cards – Frank Eachus Publishing will premiere their brand new series, Tattoo Art Trading Cards, at the Philly Show. Collectors will be treated to two free promotional cards, one in the promo pack given away with paid admission to the show, and one at the Frank Eachus Publishing table. More on Tattoo Art Trading Cards can be found here.
- Sunday-Only exclusives – In addition to the Bench Warmer models appearing on Sunday only, $20 vouchers will be awarded throughout the day to random attendees to be used at the dealer’s table of their choice.
- Buying – Philly Show vendors are interested in purchasing pre-1980 cards.
Admission to the Philly Non-Sports Card Show is just $8 daily. A two-day pass may be purchased for $12. Show hours are Saturday, 10 AM to 5 PM and Sunday, 10 AM to 3 PM. More information can be found on Non-Sport Update’s website at: nonsportupdate.com/philly.